Join RA Sushi in South Miami on Feb. 13th for the first-ever “Foodies Show Heart” charity cooking competition. They're pitting six local, notable food bloggers & media personalities against each other in an Iron Chef-style battle for a noble cause.
- Each contestant will team up with a RA Sushi chef to create their most unique, best tasting sushi roll
- The CATCH: each contestant must use one secret, seasonal ingredient
- YOU will serve as the judges, with each attendee receiving ONE token to vote for their favorite foodie
- Most tokens at 9PM wins. The champion foodie’s dish will be featured on RA Sushi in South Miami’s menu for 30 days and a portion of proceeds from the sale of that dish will go to benefit the competitor’s charity of choice
- Laine Doss, lead Food & Spirits Reporter at Miami New Times and Broward/Palm Beach New Times, as well as contributor to Food Network and Cooking Channel – competing on behalf of Tri County Humane Society, a 100 percent no-kill organization saving lives of animals in Palm Beach, Broward, Miami-Dade and Martin counties.
- Linda Gassenheimer, TV and radio personality at WLRN 91.3 and “Dinner In Minutes” columnist at The Miami Herald, is an award-winning author of 16 cookbooks, including The Flavors of the Florida Keys and Fast and Flavorful: Great Diabetes Meals from Market to Table – competing on behalf of Camillus House, a full-service center that has provided humanitarian services to the indigent and homeless populations of Miami-Dade County for more than 50 years.
- Jen Karetnick, Dining Critic at MIAMI Magazine and Miami’s longest-running food critic, she has written about food and travel national publications and websites including Food Network’s City Eats, Forbes.com, Gayot.com and Southern Living – competing on behalf of Doctors Without Borders, an international medical humanitarian organization that provides independent, impartial assistance in more than 60 countries.
- Lydia Martin, “Lunch with Lydia” columnist for The Miami Herald, has lunched with celebs such as Jennifer Lopez, Lil’ Kim, Penelope Cruz, Will Smith, Sting and Celia Cruz, along with a who's who of food world personalities, from Ferran Adria and Alain Ducasse to Anthony Bourdain – competing on behalf of Pridelines Youth Services, an organization dedicated to supporting, educating and empowering South Florida’s lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning youth in a safe and diverse environment.
- Jacquelynn Powers, Editorial Director of MiamiPopMedia.com and a longtime food writer for Ocean Drive Magazine, The Daily Beast, AOL and Urban Daddy, her interview subjects include Emeril Lagasse, Padma Lakshmi and Wolfgang Puck – competing on behalf of Mourning Family Foundation, a non-profit organization founded by Alonzo and Tracy Mourning to better serve South Florida communities and its children.
- Johnny Todd, Miami Community Director at Yelp and urban explorer seeking the best that local businesses have to offer, Todd has also bested Chicago foodies in two "Iron Cook" competitions (Citrus and Autumn) – competing on behalf of Year Up, a an organization that seeks to close the Opportunity Divide by providing urban young adults with the skills, experience, and support that will empower them to reach their true potential.
Guests will also enjoy extended happy hour specials until close and beats by a special guest DJ.
The event is FREE but space is limited and RSVP is encouraged to FoodiesShowHeart@taraink.com.