Les Dames d’Escoffier Miami is marking the 100th anniversary of Julia Child’s birth by presenting a series of events on Saturday, September 15, 2012, commemorating the "Lady of the Ladle’s" commitment to gastronomy, education and philanthropy. Net proceeds will benefit the Les Dames d’Escoffier Miami Legacy Awards, which gives professional experiences to young women studying Culinary Arts, Hospitality, Gastronomic Journalism and Food Agriculture. Breakdown of events follows:
Miami Dade Culinary Institute, Wolfson Campus
In Classroom #9301; 3rd Floor
• 10:30 am – Noon: “From Julia Child’s Kitchen to Yours” with Chef Michelle Bernstein; $60 per guest; seating is limited to 30 attendees.
In the Auditorium; Room #1261
• 1:00 – 2:30 pm: “Backstage with Julia” featuring Nancy Verde Barr, author of, Backstage with Julia, My Years with Julia Child; $30 general admission; $10 for all students. Following her seminar Verde Barr will sign copies of her book, available for purchase at $14.95 each.
• 3:00 – 4:30 pm: Media Evolution: From “Mastering the Art of French Cooking” to “Tweeting for Your Supper;” $30 per guest.
The Freedom Tower
Julia’s Birthday Bash
• 5:00 – 7:00 pm: Join us for a cocktail party to celebrate Julia’s 100th birthday. The evening will feature small plates and sweets crafted by the talented MCI Chef’s Council and friends, festive libations and live music. Attendees are also invited to participate in the culinary/travel-themed silent auction. Tickets are priced at $75 per person.
TUYO Restaurant at Miami Dade Culinary Institute, Wolfson Campus
An American in Paris
• 7:30 – 10:00 pm: Chef Norman Van Aken will host an intimate dinner party at TUYO Restaurant, atop of the MCI Building, serving a delicious, five-course, Julia-inspired menu. Menu items will include an Amuse-Bouche of Torchon of Foie Gras and Mousseline de Poisson; a Julia-approved Tamal; Homard á L’Américaine; the iconic Boeuf a la Bourguignonne; and Julia's favorite dessert, Reine de Saba, an almond chocolate cake. Bon Appetit! Tickets are priced at $150 per person; space is limited to 70 seats.
To purchase tickets, contact Claire Tomlin at (305) 775-2165 or online at www.lesdamesmiami.org.
Miami Dade Culinary Institute, Wolfson Campus is located at 415 Northeast 2nd Ave in Miami.
Miami Dade College Auditorium is located at 300 Northeast 2nd Avenue, Room #1261 in Miami.
The Freedom Tower is located at 600 Biscayne Blvd. in Miami.
Tuyo Restaurant is located at 415 Northeast 2nd Avenue in Miami.
Follow Les Dames d’Escoffier Miami on Twitter: @LesDamesMia and join the conversation at #JC100.
Host Sponsor: Miami Culinary Institute, Miami Dade College, Wolfson Campus
Title Sponsor: Whole Foods Market – Florida
Event Partner: HandCraft Wines
Event Supporters: California Figs, Delverde Pasta, Lucini Olive Oil, The Market Company
Event Friends: Nespresso, Roland, Sweet Art by Lucila, Dame Sandy Witmer
Media Sponsors: Books & Books, edible South Florida, Southern Beverage Journal, South Florida Gourmet, Food & Wine Talk